This presentation will increase the user's understanding of the risks associated with the use of restraints, tools to reduce risk, and the proper way to use restraints in custody. Issues discussed include:
- Potential problems and concerns with the use of restraints;
- Terminology, physiology, and medical risks associated with the application and use of restraints;
- Planned and unplanned use of force;
- The need for policy development, training, and monitoring;
- Tools to reduce the risk for asphyxia and death;
- The role and ethical limitations of medical and mental health problems;
- And legal implications and liability.