Results from a survey "designed to obtain information on the procedures used to classify high-risk inmates, particularly those in protective custody or administrative segregation, and inmates with mental illness or medical problems" are presented (p. xvi). Six chapters follow an executive summary:
- Overview of risk assessment;
- Risk assessment systems and instruments;
- Findings of the National Survey of the Management of High-Risk Inmates;
- Identification and review of model programs;
- And issues and recommendations.