What Is Technical Assistance?
Technical assistance (TA) is guidance, support, advice, assessment, and/or customized training that a Technical Resource Provider (TRP) or an NIC staff member provides to federal, tribal, state, or local correctional agencies or other organizations in the field of corrections. The TRP or NIC staff member serves in an advisory capacity and/or works with the staff of the requesting agency in assessing programs and operations, implementing advanced practices, and improving overall agency management, operations, and programming.
The NIC Technical Assistance Program responds directly to the needs, problems, and individual requirements of state and local correctional agencies. NIC’s technical assistance includes onsite guidance, support, consultation, or training provided by an experienced technical resource provider or NIC staff member who serves in an advisory capacity and works with agency staff. An agency may request assistance to:
- Assess programs and operations
- Implement effective practices
- Improve agency management, operations, and programming
- Refine the design, delivery, management, and evaluation of staff training programs
- Assist in the development of offender programs and services, including reentry services
When appropriate, NIC may also cover the costs of practitioners' visits to another agency to observe effective practices.
Exclusive training in select NIC courses may be available for some agencies, though within designated funding limits. The collective cost to NIC, including training expenses for instruction, course preparation, onsite work, travel, and technical assistance reporting must not exceed the funding limit. Agencies must agree to defray the costs for reproducing materials provided by NIC, the cost for reserving the facilities in which NIC will conduct the training, audio-visual equipment needed for the training, and any additional costs related to agency participants attending the training.
If an agency agrees to the attendance of participants from outside agencies, all the costs for those participants attending the course will be the responsibility of the visiting participant or agency. NIC is unable to contribute to those expenses.
Technical Assistance Contacts
The links below are for questions regarding assistance for your prison, jail, or community service - not for website assistance. If you need to reset your password on the Learning Center please click here and click login and then "forgot password". There is also 24 hour chat.
- Leslie LeMaster - Correctional Program Specialist, Academy Division
- Lorie Brisbin - Correctional Program Specialist, Community Services Division
- Mike Jackson - Correctional Program Specialist, Jails Division
- Scott Richards - Correctional Program Specialist, Prisons Division