NIC has a catalog of hundreds of free, online eCourses for corrections and community services professionals at all levels. Most eCourses get you credit toward your career goals and most come with a certificate of completion. This platform is available 24/7 to fit in with your schedule. eCourse topics range from PREA and Staff Wellness, to office skills and offender management.
This page contains only a small selection from our larger catalog. Please visit our categories page or use the LMS search to find training on the topics you are interested in.
- The Basic e-course is intended for line staff and non-security staff. This course will provide you with a fundamental understanding of the line-level response to emergencies in an institutional setting. The Intermediate course is for first-line supervisors and the Advanced course is for second-line supervisors and administrators.Duration1 hour (Basic), 2 Hours (Intermediate), 3 hours (Advanced)
- Through this course, you’ll be able to explain the knowledge, components, and considerations that you must use to be effective in your role as a behavioral health care practitioner, consistent with PREA standards.Duration3 hours
- This course provides an overview of Motivational Interviewing (MI). By using specific techniques and applying MI, corrections professionals can help increase offenders’ motivation to make changes in their lives that will reduce their likelihood of reoffending.Duration1 hour
- This course will also allow you to apply your medical and/or mental health knowledge and skills to contribute to investigations and provide care in accordance with PREA standards.Duration3 hours
- This course will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes for using good communication skills will enhance management, control, and professionalism, when working with offenders. Additional skills are added in courses 2 & 3.Duration2 hours for each of the 3 courses
- Through this course, you will be able to explain the PREA standards that relate to the provision of medical care for victims of sexual abuse. You will also be able to describe your role and responsibilities in providing this care.Duration3 hours
- This course will provide you with guidelines and practices that will help you to prevent and address sexual abuse in your tribal detention facility.Duration3 hours
- Through this course, you will be able to explain the knowledge, components, and considerations that an investigator must use to perform a successful sexual abuse or sexual harassment investigation consistent with PREA standards.Duration3 hours
- This course will provide you with strategies for communicating respectfully with all offenders, with a specific focus on LGBTI offenders.Duration1 hour
- This course will provide you with an overview of the problem of inmate suicide and the ways you can help prevent inmate suicides in correctional facilities.Duration1 hour
- During this course, you will learn to respond appropriately to sexual abuse in your facility.Duration2 hours
- This is a six-course program for front line supervisors and staff in pretrial, probation, jails, prisons, parole, and re-entry. Complete the pre-assessment and each of the courses to earn a certificate.