The National Institute of Corrections (NIC) is seeking applications for funding under Fiscal Year 2021. This initiative, Across State Lines: Interstate Compact, is a collaboration between the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS) and the National Institute of Corrections. In documentary film format, the project will take a historical look at the interstate compact --- what it is, why it exists, and whether the compact works.
The goal of this project is to produce a 60-minute documentary that provides a general context and history of the Interstate Compact.
1. Conduct an initial virtual meeting with NIC and the ICAOS project team within 30 days of award to clarify goals and objectives, discuss and develop a timeline of activities, clarify roles, discuss the overview of the project, and develop the project concept plan that will be
used to guide the project.
2. Perform multiple onsite visits [at multiple locations to be determined] to interview and record selected ICAOS staff and adults on supervision for the documentary. The awardee will be responsible for all travel costs to the sites, including roundtrip transportation costs to
requesting agency sites, ground transportation (including rental car and fuel), parking, lodging, and per diem.
3. Supplement footage with relevant archival materials sourced through outside research.
4. Ensure that audio/video recordings are of professional quality.
5. Provide deliverables listed below that are professional in appearance, of high resolution, meet current federal Section 508 compliance requirements, and meet the formal approval of the NIC Project Lead.
• The awardee will collaborate with and arrange for reviews and approvals with ICAOS and NIC for the concept development, interviews, rough cut, and final cut of the final documentary video.
• The awardee will provide professional video and audio production and will use professional grade editing applications. All footage and deliverables become the property of the National Institute of Corrections.
Year 1 Deliverables:
• Pre-Production: planning story lines, interview subjects, filming identified subjects, and delivery of rough-cut materials (footage).
• The awardee is responsible for all production team members’ expenses and fees, including planning meetings.
• The awardee will maintain, throughout the award period, regular, routine contact with the NIC program manager regarding project and deliverable progress. This includes but is not limited to:
o Scheduling and conducting at least monthly telephone updates providing the NIC program manager with information about the status of deliverables, challenges, areas where assistance is required, etc. The awardee will also send a summary email to the NIC program manager detailing the key areas discussed during the telephone update.
o Providing quarterly progress reports in adherence to written requirements and the prescribed schedule outlined in the award and design documents.
• The awardee will provide appropriate documentation and reports of meeting outcomes (e.g. planning sessions) to the NIC program manager. A final closeout report for the cooperative agreement is also required.
Year 2 Deliverables:
Post-Production: editing, transcription, close-captioning, and delivery of rough-cut materials (footage) and the final Section 508 compliant 60-minute documentary.
Applicants must register with Grants.gov prior to submitting an application. NIC encourages applicants to register several weeks before the application submission deadline. In addition, NIC urges applicants to submit applications 72 hours prior to the application due date. All applications are due to be submitted and in receipt of a successful validation message in Grants.gov by 11:59 p.m. eastern time on January 21, 2021.