Executive Excellence is a three-phase, multi-session, leader development experience, targeted to executives from community services, jails, and prisons. Executive Excellence (EE) is designed for the executives of the future as designated by their agency. It is targeted at new executive-level positions or senior-level positions.
Application Due Date: May 31, 2023*
- Pre-Session Activities begin in July 2023
- Introductory Virtual Session
September 14, 2023, at 1 pm ET / 12 pm CT / 11 am MT / 10 am PT for 2 hours
- In-Person: October 22 – November 4, 2023
National Corrections Academy (NCA), Aurora, Colorado
- Virtual (Six monthly sessions from December 2023 – May 2024)
- Dates determined during pre-session activities in July 2023
- In-Person: June 17 – 21, 2024
National Corrections Academy (NCA), Aurora, Colorado
What is the Executive Excellence Series?
Executive Excellence (EE) is a three-phase, multi-session, leader development experience, targeted to executives from community services, jails, and prisons. It addresses critical competencies required for success and effectiveness as a contemporary correctional executive. EE frames the interconnecting importance of 1) physical well-being, 2) intellectual orientation and curiosity, 3) emotional resilience and stability, and 4) substantive knowledge of corrections as a field of inquiry. Multiple online assessments occur prior to Phase One (BenchMarks® 360, MBTI Step II™, and more), to build a foundation for EE activities. Activities in EE are designed to meet the current and emergent leadership and executive needs in correctional agencies. Activities include reading books and articles, small group work, individual executive coaching, and the creation of an Executive Leadership Development Plan (ELDP). Participants access/download training materials used during the course from an online portal prior to and during class activities. EE participant materials, including the manual, assessment instructions, and other materials are digital, requiring participants to have a portable laptop/large tablet for in-class use at the NCA.
 National Institute of Corrections, Correctional Leadership Competencies for the 21st Century: Executives and Senior Level, pages 1 – 10; retrieved from this link
Who Should Apply for Selection Consideration? Am I Eligible?
EE is designed for the executives of the future as designated by their agency. It is targeted at new executive-level positions or senior-level positions.
Executive-level positions may include:
- Director of a state Department of Corrections;
- Director of a city or county Department of Corrections;
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Regional Director;
- Director of a state Juvenile Department of Corrections;
- Director of a local Juvenile Department of Corrections;
- Director of a state or local probation system;
- Director of the paroling authority where it is separate from the Department of Corrections; and Deputy Directors of large systems.
Senior-level positions include:
- Director of Probation,
- Parole, or Community Corrections;
- Deputy Director of Probation, Parole, or Community Corrections;
- Director of the Division of Institutions/Prisons;
- Deputy Director of the Division of Institutions/Prisons;
- Regional or District Director of Field Services (Probation and/or Parole, Community Corrections, Community Sentencing);
- Juvenile Facility Administrator;
- Juvenile Detention Director/Superintendent;
- Juvenile Probation Director (can also be executive level depending on state);
- Jail Administrators;
- Deputy Jail Administrators in large systems;
- Directors of combined field and institutional regions/programs;
- Correctional Industries Director;
- Deputy Correctional Industries Administrator;
- Medical and Program Services Director;
- Deputy Medical and Program Services Director;
- Capital Program Director; Deputy Capital Program Director;
- Director of Human Resources, Budget, or Information Services;
- Deputy Director of Human Resources, Budget, or Information Services.
Please see NIC’s Correctional Leadership Competencies for the 21st Century: Executive and Senior Levels, pages 6 - 10, and 10 – 15 for sample job and responsibility areas that are appropriate for the Executive Excellence series Correctional Leadership Competencies: Executive & Senior-Level Leaders.
How Do I Apply for Selection Consideration?*
Follow this link to enroll in the NIC Learning Center for selection consideration by May 31, 2023:
NIC Learn Center Classroom Events;
How Do I Register as a New User of the NIC Learning Center?
Go to https://nic.learn.com/ and click New Users SignUp to create a user account for the NIC Learning Center.
*Required Supplemental Information:
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2023:
- A letter from your agency’s CEO, on agency letterhead, endorsing your candidacy for the Executive Excellence Series, and their support for your time and participation to complete activities, before, during, and in between each series component;
- An organization chart that clearly delineates your role, function, and title in your organization; and
- A written statement (no more than several paragraphs) delineating your leader development goals, your past participation in leadership development training, including NIC training, and how you believe this executive development series will help you accomplish them.
A candidate package is not complete until required supplemental documents are submitted by May 31, 2023.
We Want to Submit Multiple Applicants from Our/the Same Agency – What Do We Do?
NIC requests that the CEO of the agency submit to Leslie LeMaster email@example.com a list of priority for selection consideration for the program from the agency by May 31, 2023.
Whom Do I Contact for More Information?
Submit your question to Leslie S. LeMaster, Executive Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org .
What Do I Need to Know About Travel and Expenses Prior to Applying for an In-Person Learning Event at the NCA?
Go to our Training and eCourses page; then scroll down to What do I need to know as a participant intending to apply for an event? - Training Participant Information.
NIC ID: 24E2301