Anyone who needs to gather and analyze data concerning various jail-related issues will find this manual useful. This document provides guidance on how information can fuel policy decision making.
Chapters comprising this guide are:
- introduction; good management requires good information;
- information that should be collected;
- preparing for the data collection;
- how to locate and capture information;
- how to put it all together;
- how to analyze information;
- how to interpret information;
- sharing information with others;
- and getting the most from your information system.
- a glossary of statistical terms for non-statisticians;
- annotated bibliography;
- manual data collection procedures and sample forms;
- inmate profile data collection;
- incident data code book sample;
- transport data collection;
- tables for determining sample size;
- simple random sampling;
- calculating the standard deviation;
- calculating Chi Square;
- and manual data display.