Family Strengthening Project
The purpose of this cooperative agreement is to develop low-cost high-impact family strengthening policies that can be implemented in local jails and state prisons; including developing training materials with an implementation strategy for training correctional institutions about the model policies. Model policies should be based on existing research, promising practice, and guidance from experts from both the correctional and child welfare communities.
The project objectives include the following:
- Identify a committee of subject matter experts for children of incarcerated parents that can represent correctional and child welfare communities and can be utilized as experts throughout the project.
- Develop a national model of family strengthening policies that can be adopted and implemented by local jails and state prisons; Model policies may include, but are not limited to: assessment and referral for incarcerated parents visiting policies and procedures; visiting room and waiting room environments; parenting and related programming offered in correctional facilities; family reunification and reentry planning; child development training for staff; and accessing community-based services.
- Develop training materials that will inform correctional policy and practice in local jails and state prisons to include implementation strategies;
- Provide training and Technical Assistance;
- Design and execute an implementation evaluation protocol to track implementation of model policies and initial process outcomes; and
- Design an evaluation protocol to track implementation of model policies and outcomes.
Learn More Here