Budget Guide for Jail Administrators
Designed for jail administrators, this guide discusses the elements of an effective process for budgeting both capital and operational jail expenses. This document contains the following sections:
- An effective budget process;
- Cooperative effort within the budget process;
- Budget preparation -- information and materials;
- Jail budget development -- needs assessment, estimating budget expenditures, preparing the budget document, submitting the budget package, presenting the budget, and the dynamic interaction in the budget process;
- Glossary of key budget terms;
- And sample budget forms and worksheets.
Designed for jail administrators, this guide provides an overview of jail budget management, along with relevant responsibilities and strategies. Key aspects of jail budget management examined include:
- Budget implementation -- developing and using a plan to monitor expenditures;
- Budget management -- monitoring, managing, and controlling expenditures while garnering support;
- Jail revenue monitoring and management -- developing revenue plans;
- Performance monitoring -- establishing targets;
- Management through budget crisis -- factors influencing increased, decreased, or insufficient revenue;
- And the jail budget as a powerful administrative tool.
Designed for jail administrators, this guide describes strategies for identifying, securing, and coordinating jai resources from multiple sources, both internally and externally. Three sections comprise this document: (1) Jail resource types and potential sources -- generating revenue, using the services of other agencies, soliciting donations from the community, and how the jail and community are linked by a common goal; (2) Strategies for securing, coordinating, and managing jail resources -- eight-step strategy and sustaining the effort; (3) The ongoing process of resource management.