Important Information for Participants Intending to Apply for an Event
Effective May 31, 2015, all future NIC programs and training events will be guided by the following procedures
1) Participant’s airline tickets will be paid directly by NIC; participants will not be required to pay anything out of pocket. Instructions on how to obtain airline tickets will be provided to participants in their information packet emailed out prior to the training event.
2) Participants will be responsible for paying the initial costs for their hotel rooms and will be reimbursed. The charge per night per room will be based on the federal per diem for that area plus specified taxes. Participants will be advised of the exact amount in their information packet prior to travel. Participants will be fully reimbursed for his/her lodging (room and taxes) at the hotel that has been selected by NIC. Participants will need to submit their hotel receipt to NIC for reimbursement.
3) Participants will be responsible for paying for their own meals and will be reimbursed. The meal per diem will be based on the federal meal per diem for that area. On travel days, both to and from the designated hotel site, the per diem will be adjusted to 75% of the daily meal per diem rate. Participants will be advised of the exact reimbursable amount in the information packet prior to travel. Participants will not be required to keep meal receipts. S/he will be reimbursed for the allotted daily meal per diem, governed by General Services Administration (GSA) travel regulations.
4) Participants will be reimbursed for travel between their home and the airport closest to their home as well as for parking expenses. All participant parking receipts must be submitted with their reimbursement claim. Participants will be reimbursed at the current Federal government personal vehicle mileage rate. If they choose to drive their personal vehicle to the training site, they will only be reimbursed up to the cost of the round trip flight at the federal government rate. We are unable to reimburse costs when an agency vehicle is driven.
5) Participants will be reimbursed for baggage. Participants will be reimbursed for two (2) bags each way per trip. Participants must obtain and then submit their baggage receipt(s) with their reimbursement claim.
6) The new procedures will necessitate that a NIC Secondary Banking Request form be completed by anyone traveling to participate in a NIC activity. The form establishes how funds are electronically paid and expedites the reimbursement process. After the Secondary Banking Request form has been submitted, it will authorize the travel and input the participant into the travel system. Upon return from the NIC activity, the participant will need to submit all pertinent receipts to generate the reimbursement. The reimbursement, once all receipts have been received, is scheduled to be paid in ten (10) business days.
We understand that these changes to NIC’s business practices may result in questions or concerns. Specifically, we want to know if this change will cause any insurmountable issues or challenges to your agency. Should you have a comment or concern, please feel free to contact NIC, via email (NICLearningCenter@bop.gov) or telephone (800-995-6429). We welcome your feedback regarding this important administrative change.
Thank you for your attention to this issue. We appreciate your continued collaboration with the National Institute of Corrections and look forward to seeing you at an NIC classroom event.
Date of Publication:
Wednesday, November 1, 2017