To ensure the Bureau of Prisons (Bureau) properly identifies, tracks, and provides services to the transgender population.
Program Objectives. Expected results of this program are:
- This policy is meant to provide guidance to staff in dealing with the unique issues that arise when working with transgender inmates.
- Institutions ensure transgender inmates can access programs and services that meet their needs as appropriate, and prepare them to return to the community.
- Sufficient resources will be allocated to deliver appropriate services to transgender inmates.
- Staff will be offered training, enabling them to work effectively with transgender inmates.
- To support staff’s understanding of the increased risk of suicide, mental health issues and victimization of transgender inmates.