Do you and your agency have questions about the management of transgender persons in custody?
In response to this emerging correctional issue, the National Institute of Corrections conducted a live internet broadcast designed to: provide information to agency legal counsel and corrections professionals regarding transgender persons in custody and their presumptive legal rights; demystify the issues surrounding policy and procedures decisions affecting this population; and identify emerging challenges and opportunities to provide strategies for ensuring equity while maintaining safety and security.
During this internet broadcast, held March 29, 2017, the presenters:
- Address agencies questions regarding issues, barriers, challenges and practices that affect transgender persons in custody;
- Illustrate areas of greatest liability for agencies regarding transgender persons in custody; Determine areas to address in agency policy and procedure;
- Explain steps agencies should take to ensure the safety and security of this population while in custody;
- and Presenters will also share recommendations and resources.
This broadcast will answer the following questions:
- What is the current state of litigation regarding transgender persons in custody?
- What legal rights do transgender persons in custody have?
- What are the best and promising practices for safe and secure housing of transgender persons?
- How can my agency provide reasonable accommodations for transgender persons in our custody?
Please note that this broadcast was recorded in 2017 and the field has continued to move forward since the recording. Some states have had new court decisions impacting transgender persons, NIC recommends additional research to make sure you have the latest information.