Carol Flaherty-Zonis Associates (Scottsdale, AZ)
“This guide, a product of the National institute of Corrections’ (NIC’s) Institutional Culture Initiative, presents a model designed to produce higher quality work, build collaboration and interdependence, create safer and more secure environments, and, ultimately, help correctional facilities move strategically toward more positive culture that will improve the quality of life for both staff and offenders" (p.iii). Chapters contained in this guide are:
- What organizational culture is;
- Why culture examination and strategic planning, management, and response are necessary;
- Building culture -- a new approach to strategic planning and management;
- What one needs to know about change;
- Rubik’s Cube Model of Strategic Planning;
- Implementing the Cube Model of Strategic Planning;
- Managing facility communications;
- Measuring your work;
- Strategic management and response;
- Rubik’s Cube Model of Strategic Management;
- And using the Cube model of Strategic Management.
Appendixes provide: answers to frequently asked questions and myths about strategic planning; sample data-gathering tools; sample planning tools; guidelines for using the Organizational Culture Inventory; sample agenda for the kickoff meeting; copies of PowerPoint presentation overheads for the kickoff meeting; and literature review.